Re: [Gnash-dev] oprofile difficulties, easy access to debuginfo, and oth

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] oprofile difficulties, easy access to debuginfo, and other thoughts
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:27:25 -0700

One easy thing to do is to pull down the gnash source code and just
run ./configure and make.  That should get you one with symbols,
which you can do performance analysis on.

You can leave Fedora's or Debian's symbols problems for later.

> I just wanted to mention to you that Bernie Innocenti and I spent a few
> minutes
> together last week trying to learn something about why gnash stutters on
> assorted content on our Rawhide and Debian Sid machines.

Thank you!  Are you talking about playing videos via Gnash?  Or about
playing the unfortunately-named Flash "movies" that aren't playing
any video, such as games?

An earlier thread on gnash-dev examined the stuttering of video (the
sort that puts up the wait-cursor, despite the buffering line in the
e.g. YouTube player being far ahead of the player cursor).  This seems
common and easy to reproduce (I see it all the time), and results from
a bug that was never run to ground, possibly something simple.  Check
the thread with subject line "Stuttering Playback due to Blocking
Reads" in gnash-dev in September 2009.

        John