Re: [Gnash-dev] oprofile difficulties, easy access to debuginfo, and oth

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] oprofile difficulties, easy access to debuginfo, and other thoughts
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:57:01 -0600

On 10/12/09 18:30, Michael Stone wrote:

I just wanted to mention to you that Bernie Innocenti and I spent a few
minutes together last week trying to learn something about why gnash stutters on
assorted content on our Rawhide and Debian Sid machines.

The stuttering (if you mean for video) is a known problem, there are some incomplete patches in the gnash-dev archives that work for some people.

We approached the problem via oprofile and learned two things:

1. gnash-0.8.6-1 spends tons of time (on our systems and test cases)
calling memset(). We're kind of curious as to why but...

Called from where ? I don't have oprofile setup on my other Fedora 11 machine. Memset() is often used to set a newly allocated buffer to zeros to make debugging easier, but can also be a performance hog.

2. we can't get any data on what gnash is doing the rest of the time
because we don't have access to appropriate debugging symbols.

When I build Gnash from source, I get debug symbols. So I can only guess it's an issue with how the packages are built. Some experimental RPM packages I built, includingg the debug info ones are at: http://www.getgnash.org/packages/snapshots/fedora/. These I built using my own gnash.spec file (which is checked into Gnash trunk). This is the first time I've heard any issues about the lack of debug symbols in the debuginfo packages. Me, I don't install packages except for my own for testing, which I build myself.

anything about it. (Try, e.g., "gnash debug info", "gnash oprofile", "gnash
profiling"; the latter query is the only one with real results on the first

Try on which machine ? An XO 1.5, standard Fedora 11, or a Debian machine ? I made a shot at compiling Gnash on an XO 1.5 machine, but get too many dependency errors when trying to install the *-devel packages Gnash needs. I assume I can build on my other Fedora 11 machine and just copy the executables over like I used to do ? Is the Gstreamer packages standard now, or are the