Re: [Gnash-dev] Caching synthesized object of primary types

From: Richard Wilbur
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Caching synthesized object of primary types
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 01:24:59 -0700

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 00:09 +0100, strk wrote:
> I was thinking (still on potlatch memory use)
> that if we cached the objects synthetized for
> primitive data types (string, number, boolan)
> we could save a lot of temporary objects allocations.
My guess is that this could save both in memory use and execution
efficiency.

How would we look up an object from the cache?  What would you index on?
[...]
> Ideally the 'drop' part should even be an HARD delete
> (but that's currently not possible with the current GC)
> Still would open more possibilities like calling a
> to be introduced GcResource::delete() function (which would
> also be used by ActionDelete*) to help GC heuristic in evaluating
> the usefulness of running a collection cycle.
>
> So, what do you think ?

I love the idea of clueing in the garbage collector!

Richard
--
PGP public key at
http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA7CEB3C711AFF0B0