Re: [Gnash-dev] address@hidden: [osflash] Lightspark preliminary support

From: Alessandro Pignotti
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] address@hidden: [osflash] Lightspark preliminary support for Flex and the Windows platform]
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 18:16:24 +0100

Hi strk and everyone in the list,

thanks for CCing me. I've been following gnash-dev mailing list for a long
time, but I've never contributed to the discussion. Yes, I remember that you
proposed me to join the gnash project, and I actually spent some time looking
at the gnash's AVM2 implementation, before resuming the work on my own
project.

My point is that is very difficult to include an optimizing JIT compiler inside
an existing architecture, the main advantage of working on Lightspark was to
have a clean design, build from the ground up to support JIT compilation and
accelerated rendering. My JIT, in the current status, exhibit performances
that are just a bit behind tamarin on benchmarks included in the tamarin
source, but there is a lot of room for improvements. Moreover, as I'm using
LLVM as the backend, Lightspark will automatically take advantage of the work
on such framework.

I have the maximum respect for the result of the gnash project, as you started
working when no specs were available, and that's definitely an impressive work.
Moreover, gnash supports to a large extend AVM1 for Actionscript 1.0 and 2.0,
and I have no plan to support them in Lightspark, as I expect people to
migrate to AS3 over time, especially for computationally intensive tasks. I
think that to some extend Lightspark and Gnash are going to share part of the
code.

I warmly invite people in the gnash community that may be interested in
joining Lightspark to take a look at the code and to send me any question
about architectural issues or anything else. I'm not a professional software
designer and, although I'm finding the current structure pretty scalable, I'm
sure that there is a lot of room for advices from people more expert than me.

Thanks a lot,
Alessandro