Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support

From: Bastiaan Jacques
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 09:19:16 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Rob Savoye wrote:
 Course our Cairo renderer is quite slow for some reason, I assume it's
in how Gnash uses Cairo more than Cairo itself.

I don't think we're using Cairo inefficiently. I think the difference
stems from that AGG has had performance as its first priority when it
was developed. Cairo, on the other hand, attempted to find a balance
between usability, maintainability and performance. However, lately
Cairo has been improving a lot on performance. We won't notice this
until they get out a release for their development branch, though.

Yes, I also believe the Cairo backend is the future. However, aside of the performance problems, there also is a correctness problem. Currently, we have AGG > Cairo > OpenGL in correctness. Though Cairo being close to AGG. I myself don't know AGG and very little of Cairo, so we'd need to find someone with good Cairo-fu! ;-)

We only have a single bug filed against cairo in Savannah. But I take it that there actually are more, and if so, it would be good if bugs were filed.

Bastiaan