[Gnash-dev] Youtube support thoughts

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Youtube support thoughts
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:17:31 +0100

Hello all.
I've been looking at youtube page and found this interesting snippet:

'SWF_URL': (yt.flash.canPlayV9Swf() ?
              (!yt.flash.canPlayH264Videos() ?
              "http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/watch-vfl154104.swf"; :
              "http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/watch_as3-vfl153842.swf";) :
              "http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/watch_v8-vfl154104.swf";),

As you can see the youtube guys seem to be trying to be nice
with older players. We should support all urls except the _as3 one.

In particular, if yt.flash.canPlayV9Swf() returned FALSE for gnash
we would get the _v8 file, which should be supported.

I haven't researched further but I suspect the check performed
by yt.flash.canPlayV9Swf() is based on the version exposed by
the plugin.

For the Gnash case this is intentionally high to avoid messages
like "You need to upgrade your player" when AVM2 is not even
required.

It would be interesting to see what happen if we advertise v8
as player version. If it works supporting youtube again might
just be a matter of setting the default version lower, but still
allow users to advertise an higher one when needed.

I can't test this at the moment, but if anyone can please
give it a try and let us know.

Thank you.