Re: [Gnash-dev] YouTube using SWF10 today

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] YouTube using SWF10 today
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:38:07 +0100

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:24:58AM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:
> On 03/23/10 09:16, strk wrote:
>
> > Easiest is probably looking at the npapi/plugin.cpp code as all it
> > does is spawning the standalone.
> >
> > The proof of concept would be to export
> > GNASH_PLAYER=/usr/local/bin/lightspark
> > in the browser environment and see it magically work.
>
>   Actually, while a command line interface is a good start, it's not
> really sufficient. For one thing, this would only work for sites that
> you knew before hand were v10. Gnash doesn't know the version of the swf
> file until after it's been started, so that's where a tighter
> integration would be required.

Gnash saves the whole content to a temporary file, so it could, when
it figures it's an AVM2 one, rewind it and send to lightspark stdin.

> Ideally if lightspark has a v10 file
> LocalConnection in Gnash does work, so that would be one way of
> communicating.

I guess the question is "what" to communicate in those cases.
If there's no communication between the two VM (which I think
I've heard it is supposed to hold true) we could see a v7 running
into a v10 as two completely separated videos one within another.
In that case all we'd need would be a way to feed the players
and fetch audio and video out of them.
Gnash isn't ready for that atm.