Re: [Gnash-dev] Boost pointer containers

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Boost pointer containers
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:56:21 +0200

> > 2. Anyone who still does use 1.34 or earlier could just install boost
> > serialization and it would still work fine.
>
> Both Debian 4.0 and Ubuntu 8.10 does have a libboost-serialization-dev
> package.

Ubuntu 8.10 also has all of boost 1.35 packaged, though it's not the
default.

> > It would make certain parts of Gnash code where we store pointers in
> > containers much cleaner, easier, and safer, so I'd like to use it. Any
> > thoughts?
>
> Would be nice to hear from embedded system guys, as that's where an
> additional separate library might hurt more.

Provided they have or can build boost 1.35 or later, there's no need for
the separate library anyway. And boost 1.35 is over two years old!

> For me simplicity and
> maintainability are good. Would we get an easier switch to by-pointer
> PropertyList with that ?

I doubt it, as that's a multi_index container and it's unlikely that
boost offers a ptr_multi_index_container (I haven't looked into the
possibilities).

--
Use Gnash, the GNU Flash Player!
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/