Re: [Gnash-dev] broadcom crystal hd support

From: Jacob Beard
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] broadcom crystal hd support
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 12:17:09 +0100

Hi,

Based on my very limited and incomplete understanding of these
technologies, I believe the Crystal API is an API for accelerated
video content for the Broadcom Crystal HD chipset. You're starting to
see this chip show up in a lot of netbooks. Broadcom has released open
source drivers, an application library, and a gstreamer plugin, most
of which seem to have made it into Ubuntu Maverick.

I know Gnash now supports VAAPI, and it also seems as though someone
is working on a backend for the crystal API for VAAPI, which but it
seems not be very mature:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi

It would therefore be interesting if Gnash could make use of the
crystal API in some other way, perhaps via Gstreamer and the crystal
plugin.

Let me know what you think. Thanks,

Jake