Re: [Gnash-dev] broadcom crystal hd support

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] broadcom crystal hd support
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 11:31:26 -0600

On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 12:17:09PM +0100, Jacob Beard wrote:

> video content for the Broadcom Crystal HD chipset. You're starting to
> see this chip show up in a lot of netbooks. Broadcom has released open
> source drivers, an application library, and a gstreamer plugin, most
> of which seem to have made it into Ubuntu Maverick.

  Interesting... I hadn't heard of that one. If it's in Maverick, I can try
it.

> I know Gnash now supports VAAPI, and it also seems as though someone
> is working on a backend for the crystal API for VAAPI, which but it
> seems not be very mature:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi

  You mean vaapi or the crystal API isn't mature ?

> It would therefore be interesting if Gnash could make use of the
> crystal API in some other way, perhaps via Gstreamer and the crystal
> plugin.

  It probably can. Right now I'm slowly (between other tasks) refactoring
the rendering API in Gnash to better support things like HW accelerated video.
While the current VAAPI support works, I think how it works can be improved.
I'll look at the docs, but if this is a gstreamer plugin (OMAP is the same),
there may not be anything Gnash has to do special to utilize this.

  I'd have to find some hardware with this chipset to really know if it works.