Re: [Gnash-dev] Definition of "blocker" bug severity

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Definition of "blocker" bug severity
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:28:43 +0100

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 09:10:59AM -0700, Rob Savoye wrote:
> On 12/20/10 08:58, strk wrote:
>
>   Here's the definitions I use, which is what we all should.
>
> > "Blocker" I've used mostly to mean "release blocker",
> > that is something you should fix before next release.
>
>   A blocker is something that breaks builds, and must be fixed
> immediately, or nobody can get any work done. Sort of like the several
> recent commits strk made that broke compiling...

I fixed those before anyone could file a bug, it looks like.
Or can you find a bug filed for them ?

> If all bugs are a
> blocker, then it looses meaning as something that *must* be looked into
> immediately... This is the problem you are creating.

What's the use of a tracker for something that has to be looked into
immediately ? The tracker  is there so "we don't forget" about something.
An urgent breakage should be acted upon by someone having nothing else in
his mind

>   As the person that actually does the release (which you rarely bother
> to help with), I think that the definitions are more important to me
> than anyone else.

You seem to be the author of this wiki page about release management:
http://wiki.gnashdev.org/Releasing

The second step in your process is "fix critical or Blocker bugs"
So it looks like you agreed with me at time of writing that one.

I kind of remember we had an actual link from the wiki to a savannah
query when Russ (release manager on payroll) was taking care of that.
The link queried for bugs in the Blocker or Security levels.

Beside, these organizational things are part of "helping with releases"
(wiki editing, NEWS editing, testing various combinations, filing _blocker_
bugs so they don't get unnoticed at release time, ...)

> > "Important" is something people will be likely to complain
> > a lot about (say support for latest YouTube change).
>
>   Important means it needs to be looked into, but doesn't block any
> other developers from compiling Gnash. So to me, all your Blockers are
> merely Important, or even just Normal.

I'd like to hear from others too.
And I hope you do too..