Re: [Gnash-dev] Removal candidates

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Removal candidates
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 10:23:42 +0100

Am Samstag, den 19.03.2011, 00:33 -0800 schrieb John Gilmore:
> Please stop removing things from gnash, and restore the ones that have
> been removed.  There is no consensus to remove these things, even if
> they don't currently work.  Doing it in the absence of consensus just
> creates unnecessary friction among the few remaining developers.

I am trying to get consensus to remove these things, and where there is
consensus I'll continue to remove them.

> When a volunteer comes along who wants to revive that corner of the
> project, it will be much harder for them to do so if they have to root
> around in ancient releases just to find a copy of the formerly-working
> code base.

We have a modern version control system.

I also give higher priority to the requirements of at least one of the
remaining active developers, who would like to work on features without
being slowed down by the sheer amount of unmaintained and indisputably
unused code.

Finally, at least some of the code I removed recently is not
formerly-working, as I detailed in earlier mails.

bwy

Free Flash, use Gnash
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

Benjamin Wolsey, Software Developer - http://benjaminwolsey.de