[Gnash-dev] Re: Bugs severity

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: Bugs severity
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:13:58 -0600

On 03/31/11 10:40, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> If we *should* then why we didn't ?
> Who should check that it gets done ?

  That is up to whomever does the release to decide on whether the
release should be delayed till certain bugs are fixed or to put the
release out with known bugs. Last time I checked you weren't the Gnash
release manager, and I don't think you want the job title anyway.

> Mind you: the only blocker is not the one we're pulling hairs on,
> but a blocker from 0.8.9 that was downgraded to Important for the
> release and raised back to Blocker for next one.

  Right, I downgraded it to Important because it shouldn't be a Blocker.
I sure wish you could pick something actually important for this weeks
flame war, rather than revisiting something I thought we worked out a
month or so ago. Are you just having a bad day or something like that ?

> So, what about adapting to the common practice rather than dictating
> a new order ?

  Here's the problem. I am following long-time accepted ways of handling
bugs. The problem is you and I disagree on this, so you assume your
opinion is always the correct one. When developers can't decide via
consensus on something like this, *somebody* has to decide, and that's
the maintainer. Course then you get upset, call me names, throw in a few
more insults, and do this publically to try to shame me into doing
things your way. All of this is counter productive to having any amount
of coordination between us active developers, because you feel like you
have to win all disagreements. I'm not into arguing or flame wars, so
sometimes a decision has to be made, even when it pisses you off. So my
decision is to use my definitions of bug severity, as I do the Gnash
releases. I thought that was what we agreed, but I guess you changed
your mind again.

  Gnash would be better off if we fought less, and cooperated more.
Instead your hostile behavior does nothing to push Gnash forward as a
project. If you are so upset because I changed a bug severity, my
suggestion is you need to relax more, and don't be so stressed out about
a such a minor thing. Turning every small disagreement in World War III
is only going to negatively effect Gnash, and it already has. If you
can't handle admitting I'm the maintainer of the Gnash project, (and the
release manager) and letting me do my job, you need to find a new
project where you can be the maintainer, and then you can always be
right. Otherwise I will overrule your dissenting opinions when I think
it's appropriate.