Re: [Gnash-dev] CPU relief: call for test

From: Maximi89
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] CPU relief: call for test
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 21:26:48 -0400

2011/4/9 Sandro Santilli <address@hidden>
Recently I've encountered a still movie showing high
CPU usage and did some research about it to find that
any looping timeline would be considered invalidated
and thus fully redrawn, no matter if things change or not.

Here's a launcher for my test case:
http://strk.keybit.net/tmp/graph.sh

It comes from a WordPress plugin page.

The SWF shows a graph, fixed after the first load, but
rendered 15 times per second, keeping CPU very busy.

Since invalidated bounds detection isn't tested _very_ much
(but enough to prevent me from doing a too naive fix) I haven't
pushed my optimization of it to master but in a "fast" branch.

With the "fast" branch the "graph" case can be played with CPU
around 8% rather than 100%. Not bad...
Also, the testsuite gives an XPASS, for a test about inv. bounds
that was there since a long time.

So, this mail is to ask you to test the "fast" branch against
i can try it if you tell me how to get the sources

and probably other people will be able too.

your usual movies, where you can easily catch any problems with
your eyes. In particular, a regression (if any) would be in partially
rendered frames, wherease a refresh would show the complete
rendering.

I don't expect any regression, but would like a broader confirmation
about it. Also, would be nice to hear if you can see other real-world
cases of CPU relief with this.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks to you
--strk;

 ()   Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer
 /\   http://strk.keybit.net/services.html