[Gnash-dev] Reducing spam on the gnashdev wiki

From: Robinson Tryon
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Reducing spam on the gnashdev wiki
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:10:56 -0400

The amount of vandalism to the gnashdev wiki has been increasing a bit
over the past couple of weeks, and I've been blocking accounts and
nuking spam pages in a seeming game of whack-a-mole. I think it might
be helpful for us to implement more safeguards to make it harder for
spammers to mess up the wiki.

One easy fix, as there are relatively few new legitimate users each
month, would be to simply require new users to email
"address@hidden" to get an account. We could just restrict
access to the create-a-new-account page[1], and post the registration
email address as an image (to prevent it being harvested for spam).
There are probably other ways we can reduce the amount of wiki spam we
get, but this seems quick and easy.

Cheers,
-- Robinson "qubit" Tryon

[1] http://wiki.gnashdev.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin