Re: [Gnash-dev] Advances from GameSWF

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Advances from GameSWF
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:13:58 -0600

On 09/26/11 10:06, Pete Hobson wrote:

> I've been trying to understand better gnash's relationship with gameswf.
>  Have you essentially branched completely?

  Yes, many years ago. Just as a note, Gnash already has mobile device
support...

> Is there anyplace (other than source :)  ) where i can find how far you have
> moved from gameswf in terms of supported features.

  Nope, sorry. There have been so many changes to Gnash since I forked
it from GanmeSWF it would be difficult. For one thing, GameSWF only
supported OpenGL as a renderer, Gnash supports several. GameSWF was ok
for SWF files that were custom created for it (games usually), but was
pretty poor at the generic SWF files found on the internet. Making Gnash
a browser plugin opened up a huge amount of compatibility work, still
ongoing many years later.

> Is there any millage in your opinion of me attempting to back port the new
> features into gameswf, or perhaps can the swf rendering components of gnash
> be used as a library?

  Gnash can be used as a library, but the application would have to be
GPL'd. Back porting would be difficult without turning GameSWF into Gnash.