Re: [Gnash-dev] FSF directed donations / committee

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] FSF directed donations / committee
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:20:31 +0200

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 07:23:55AM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:

> > Personally, I think such a committee, with well defined decision making
> > process rules, would not only help dealing with the FSF but also make it
> > easier to take decisions.
>
>   As I mentioned before, you seem to want to apply this offer for fund
> raising to establishing some kind of control over other facets of the
> Gnash project.

Of course I want to estabilish some kind of control.
Mostly quality control.  Having invested a lot of effort in
the project I care about it not getting ruined.

If Gnash is a community project, why shouldn't community members
have more control over it ? Or what does it mean to be a community
project ? Note I'm not a simple user, but a top committer...

  http://www.ohloh.net/p/gnash/contributors

> This is why I turned down the FSF on their offer, as it
> would just lead to more infighting and flame wars as we'd fight over
> allocating money.

We never fought about money allocation so far, only about technical
issues (which I'm more concerned about).

>   I'm personally a big believer in the benevolent dictator model of
> project management, *not* the committee idea.

These are interesting readings about governance models on OSS Watch:

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/benevolentdictatorgovernancemodel.xml
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/meritocraticGovernanceModel.xml

For each one there are also template governance documents which would
help defining one for Gnash.

I'm more for a meritocratic governance model.