Re: [Gnash-dev] GSoC project ideas

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] GSoC project ideas
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 08:47:18 -0600

On 03/31/12 18:19, Joshua Beck wrote:

> Are you willing to mentor this year? I'd like to implement the GLES2
> renderer as my project (or at least implement the necessary shaders), so
> I would like to see the stubs.

  The stubs should be in the 'hwaccel' (and openvg) branch. You could
also recreate them by copying the OpenVG support files and just removing
the code in each function. The GLES1 code is more complete, but GLES1
and GLES2 are quite different from each other GLES1 doesn't use shaders.

> Also, I've been looking at the OpenGLES2 Task page on the wiki, and it
> says that the TestR test case will tell us what shaders we need. Has
> this been done yet?

  The testr test case is far from complete, the idea was to test
renderers standalone, without the rest of Gnash. The idea was to be able
to regression test renderers, as well as to do better performance
analysis. Ideally it would also help show which shaders are needed. As I
haven't been working with university students this year, I am willing to
mentor for this specific task. I'm not sure if "Gnash" has to apply,
although I do know the FSF has a category for GNU projects. If you are
interested, let me know the next steps, as I haven't participated in
GSoC before.