Re: [Gnash-dev] flash swf italic

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] flash swf italic
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:57:44 +0100

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 01:29:29PM +0800, Zhonghua Zhu wrote:
> After some research, I figured out that italic version of a font can
> be done by matrix if I don't have a italic version of that font on my
> system.
> Like the following:
>
> // italic
> float lean = 0.5f;
> FT_Matrix matrix;
> matrix.xx = 0x10000L;
> matrix.xy = 0x10000L*lean;
> matrix.yx = 0;
> matrix.yy = 0x10000L;
> FT_Set_Transform(face, &matrix, 0);
>
> Does gnash need this?

I don't know, if you're sure the Adobe player is "syntetizing"
italic when no such flavor exist on the system (so if you're
sure your SWF is using device fonts and Adobe player shows it
in italic with no further tags) then yes, gnash may need it.

> Maybe I can create a patch about it.
>
> This is the SWF. The text is in Simplified Chinese.

I've no time to look at it, sorry, but please file a ticket
on savannah about this, with the SWF attached. That ticket
would also be the place where your patch could be applied
if you start working on it.

I don't remember if we have already testcases using device
fonts, with special fonts shipped with the testsuite for this
specific purpose. It would be great if you could check that
and thus create a testcase for this case too. The testing
framework allows for "expected failures" if this is one such
case. The ideal testcase would be an SWF that a human can run
and read instructions about what should be seen. Then a test
runner would perform pixel checking to verify the output is
the expected one.