[Gnash-dev] Next Task -or- Wiki ToDo List Maintenance

From: Richard Wilbur
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Next Task -or- Wiki ToDo List Maintenance
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 13:07:38 -0600

I'm interested in working on improving gnash and thought I'd try to
determine what needs to be done so I took a look at the ToDo list[0]
on the gnashdev wiki.  I noticed it's been 4 years since it was
updated so I thought I should ask here about the next task looming on
the development horizon for gnash.

It seems that the two lists--old and new--haven't been merged, yet.

Here's an outline:  (with some added comments and questions)
1 Old todo list
1.1 Developer website
1.1.a website for wiki:  This is gnashdev.org, right?  Aside from some
wiki maintenance, what else is needed?
1.1.b additional mailing lists:  I know of gnash-dev and gnash-commit
mailing lists.  Which other mailing lists are needed and haven't been
set up?
1.1.c streaming server testbed:  I thought Rob had set something like this up.
1.2 Update manual
-----Looks like a worthy effort.  How is this one coming along?
1.3 Gnash
1.3.1 Debugger
1.3.2 GUI
1.3.3 Backends
1.3.4 Multimedia support
1.3.5 Flash v1 Support:  Done?
1.3.6 Flash v4 support:  Done?
1.3.7 Flash v5 support:  'Selection'  Is this the remaining opcode
that needs to be implemented to complete Flash v5 support (SWF5?)?
1.3.8 Flash v6 support
1.3.8.a Camera (basic implementation done):  What else needs to be done?
1.3.8.b LocalConnection
1.3.8.c SharedObject:  Done?
1.3.8.d TextFormat:  Done?
1.3.8.e Microphone (basic implementation done):  What else needs to be done?
1.3.8.f CustomActions
1.3.8.g TextField:  Done?
1.3.8.h Frame labels as named anchors
1.3.9 Flash v7 support
1.3.10 Flash v8 support
1.3.11 Flash v9 support
1.3.12 Darwin support
1.3.13 Win32 support
1.4 MusicML
1.5 Cygnal
1.6 Ming

2 New todo list
2.1 Code
2.1.1 Finish SWF8 support:  This is cumulative, right?  In other words
we need to finish SWF5-SWF7 support and then add the remaining items
specifically from SWF8?
2.1.2 Finish SWF9 support
2.1.3 Finish ActionScript 3 support
2.1.4 Stabilize Ffmpeg-based audio/video streaming
2.1.5 Keep improving Gstreamer-based embedded A/V
2.1.6 Fully implement NetStream.
2.1.7 Implement ExternalInterface (AS)
2.1.8 Finish Cairo renderer
2.1.9 Improve performance (string_table? Xv for video?)
2.1.10 RTMP audio/video playback
2.1.11 Windows port:  Done?
2.1.12 Windows plugin
2.1.13 OSX port

I also checked the Priorities page[1] and it hasn't been updated for 8
years.  The Priorities listed are:
1 Gnash
1.1 Fat embedded system support
1.2 Video streaming infrastructure fully working
1.2.a Use ffmpeg:  Anything left here?
1.2.b Use Gstreamer:  Anything left here?
1.2.c handle streaming by RTMP over HTTP
1.2.d RTMPT from a Flash server using RTMP
1.3 Flash compatibility
2 Cygnal
-----Doesn't this already work?  What's left here?
3 Ming
3.1 Continued support
3.2 adding support for audio and video and extending to support Ogg,
Flac, and Theora
3.4 adding Flash Actionscript test suite for Ming and Gnash
3.5 adding Actionscript 3 and swf v9 support

Unfortunately I haven't time today to cover all the details with the
same level of scrutiny and maybe this should happen in the wiki
discussion page for 'Todo' and 'Priorities'.

Sincerely,
Richard

[0]  http://wiki.gnashdev.org/Todo
[1]  http://wiki.gnashdev.org/Priorities