Re: [Gnash-dev] Pull Request

From: thePalindrome theParanoid
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Pull Request
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 05:12:23 -0600

I'm submitting this commit because in order to interface with the gui using an ABC block, I need to call the HostInterface.

ControlTag's only have a MovieClip* and a DisplayList& and as such lacks direct access to the movie_root that maintains the HostInterface.

DisplayObject provides the stage() function, which returns the movie_root. That function is protected, however, and cannot be referenced outside of the class/children.

In order to maintain a principle-of-least-privilage, I am opting to forward the HostInterface related functions through the DisplayObject.

I have tested this code with a test pop-up upon attempting to execute an ABC block.

Hopefully this explains my intentions well enough.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 5:04 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi.  I suspect you want to send this to the mailing list, where it will
reach people with commit access to the gnash repo.

[thePalindrome theParanoid]
> This particular change exposes both callInterface() functions in
> movie_root, as well as queryInterface() and registerEventCallback() for all
> types that extend DisplayObject (I was mainly going for MovieClip, but I
> figured the generic case would work better)
>
> This change is necessary because DisplayObject::stage(), which is the only
> way to obtain a movie_root from a DisplayObject, is protected.

I still miss a use case for this to understand the motivation.
"movie_root isn't available" is not really a motivation, it is an
observation.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen