Re: [Gnash-dev] Any chance of revival?

From: Richard Wilbur
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Any chance of revival?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 10:36:01 -0700

On Feb 11, 2021, at 15:58, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> [Diego Esaá]
>> Now that Flash has finally seen its peril, is there any chance of
>> reviving the Gnash project?
>
> I guess it depend on who show up to do the work?  Do you know anyone
> interested in working on such revival?

Petter, et al,

I am willing to take a look at it.  In my initial glance it seems gnashdev.org
no longer has much to do with the project.  I seem to remember a developer wiki
with notes and documentation.  Does anyone have source to that wiki?

It looks like the project area on Savannah still exists but hasn’t been updated
since 2019.  Last code merge was in 2017, documentation in 2019.  Most recent
support item filed in 2016,
bug filed July 2020,
task created in 2013,
patch submitted in 2019.

I notice that submission of tasks and patches is presently disabled on Savannah.

It looks like anybody interested could pick it up and start working from the
master branch on Savannah but would need cooperation from Rob Savoye (project
maintainer) or at least one of the other registered members of the project in
order to get changes merged and/or make new releases of the code (and possibly
to open tasks and patches for new submissions).

I guess the first effort would be to get it building with current versions of
dependencies.  Next, get the test suite to pass:  by fixing the code and/or the
tests.  Finally, to address any issues of usability:  do the plugins work with
recent versions of supported browsers?

Then it seems we’d be ready to address any missing features and still extant
bugs.

Who else is interested in working on this codebase?

Sincerely,
Richard