Re: [gNewSense-users] firefox?

From: jeff
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] firefox?
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:52:39 -0300

Brian Brazil wrote:
On 11/6/06, Vim Visual <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I love the idea behind gNewSense... what I don't understand is why you
include firefox and not iceweasel if copyleft is that important (and
it is).

There are two issues here, and I'd prefer them to be kept seperate.
The first is if Firefox is non-free? If it is we will, as with any
other package, etiher change it to be free, or remove it.

The sum of this is that if you do /any/ patches to firefox they have to be approved upstream by the Mozilla CORPORATION or you can't include their trademarked logos.

A workaround for this is to build it without "--enable-official-branding" or patch the bits out. In firefox 2.0 this calls itself "Bon Echo". Or you could patch in iceweasel (yuck) or some other name. Or you could use the GNU iceweasel fork, but I'm not too familiar with that.

An issue for gnewsense is then do you consider the source .tar.gz free too? So you may want to pick out the firefox.png stuff...

As for default browser, just go for netcat. ;)

-Jeff