Re: [gNewSense-users] vrms

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] vrms
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:39:23 +1030

Andrew Wigglesworth wrote:
On Monday 06 November 2006 22:13, Vim Visual wrote:
Hi,

there are a couple of things I don't understand

1- why is the kernel 2.6.15? (is 2.6.18.2 by now)

because we are using ubuntu dapper as codebase, which has a .15 kernel.

2- why not having the latest vim (7.0)?

see above.

3- OpenOffice is also a bit outdated and many other packages

see above.

A package I would include per default is vrms. It's the perfect tool
to find ou how many packages are free or not in your box (Virtual
Richard M Stallman)

yeh, i wouldnt argue actually, but on a free system it seems redundant ;)

I would suggest that the project includes it and that it is launched
automatically from time to time as a kind of pop-up window (with the
option "i don't want any notifications in the future" vailable, not to
annoy people)

i will argue this until you kill me off.
poping up windows for no good reason is annoying, and in this case blatantly unneeded. vrms emails you a report every month out of the box (which wont work on ubuntu and i assume gns because of a broken mail server).

Trim a bit.

How accurate is vms though?

I've just run it on my installation of gNewSense and this was the result:

=============================
address@hidden:~$ vrms
vrms: ERROR- Badly formed dpkg-status entry #1231!
             pkg=[emacs], pkgstatus=[install ok installed], section=[]
               Non-free packages installed on vostok

ttf-gentium               Gentium TrueType font

  1 non-free packages, 0.1% of 1266 installed packages.

===============================

I had the same error, but i dont know what causes it (i didn't investigate or file a real bug at the time).

as for finding ttf-gentium, thats a bug thats been filed in ubuntu+debian.
in the last few days an email went to debian-mentors asking for someone to upload an updated package, but not sure if it fixes this bug.
kk

I've just checked and according to:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium

Gentium is released under the SIL Open Font License, which is fine according to the FSF.

I don't know what the "Badly formed dpkg-status entry" means for emacs though? I uninstalled emacs and the message went away, reinstalled and it came back again.

somethign messed up there... bug report material.

link to changes.
http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/debian/vrms_1.12_i386.changes

--
Karl Goetz