Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense-users Digest, Vol 2, Issue 25

From: Paul O'Malley
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense-users Digest, Vol 2, Issue 25
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 19:06:39 +0000

Dylan Knight Rogers wrote:
> "Whatever other issues there are mplayer is not in Ubuntu Dapper, so
> going on
> previous replies it will not be officially supported by gNewSense at the
> moment."
>
> I don't quite understand:  Mplayer is included in many other Free distros.

Hi Dylan,

At the start of this project there were two people. The idea was to take
dapper and make it as Free as possible. There was no other stated
objective. In order to do this we could use main, and universe,
excluding the programs that were marked as questionable or straight non
free from upstream.

Mplayer is in the multiverse part of the distro. With our current build
method we don't touch multiverse for a variety of reasons. Mostly it
would break our method for building gNewSense.

As for why we are not moving it into gNewSense every change requested is
falling on one man's shoulders and he has moved mountains to get it to
where it is.

If you want to contribute mplayer we are looking as some kind of
"community driven". In order to get packages into the distro, the person
has to convince Brian Brazil that they are capable of planning the
management of a package, up to and including how to deal with security
issues.

I hope this explains it. We need helping hands if we are to take this
anywhere, please feel free to join #gnewsense on freenode and have a
chat with anyone there.

If you can't help with that please take a look at the work that needs to
be done as listed on http://wiki.gnewsense.org, and maybe you can help
in some other area.

Regards,

Paul