Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?

From: Guy Johnston
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:11:48 +0100

Karl Goetz wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Kevin Dean wrote:
>>
>>> This is not an official responce, but I asked Paul about this as soon
>>> as I read the announcement on Ubuntu-devel.
>>>
>>> As of now, there is no news. The gNS developers have been invited to
>>> UDS to see what can and can't be done together; beyond that there's
>>> not news because nothing is happening.
>>>
>>> However, if Ubuntu should do this, gNewSense will continue to exists
>>> as it's own project; Canonical run Ubuntu as a commercial distro that
>>> includes non-Free content; gNewSense is, and will continue to be,
>>> about Freedom. The goals are not the same, and one projects can't
>>> incorporate the other
>>>
>> I don't think /Ubuntu/ can incorporate gnewsense, but Canonical
>> certainly *could* offer a free as in freedom distro without unfree
>> dependencies.  I hope they follow through with this announcement and do
>> just that.  If they don't, I will continue using gnewsense.
>>

> One thing that is required for a distribution to be FSF free is not
> hosting non-free content in its repositories - and i dont see ubuntu
> loosing multiverse or restricted.
> Unless they deliberately break binary compatibility between the two
> versions, the new ubuntu winds up non-free by default.
> It will be interesting to see.
> kk
>
>> Matthew Flaschen

Yeah I don't think the FSF would necessary endorse it because they
wouldn't want to be supporting Ubuntu on the whole, because they also
distribute nonfree software. But that doesn't people have to use nonfree
software when they're using the fully free variant. After all, the FSF
use Debian GNU/Linux, they just don't endorse the whole distribution.
Maybe they should create a new list on the GNU site for distributions
which are fully free, but whose distributors also distribute nonfree
software separately.

--
Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office files - see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html.