[gNewSense-users] how do you detect and choose wifi networks?

From: andrei raevsky
Subject: [gNewSense-users] how do you detect and choose wifi networks?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:26:53 -0400

Dear friends,

I have got my wireless card working (kind off, most of the time, with some system freeze here and there).  However, I wonder what app one should use in gNewSense to detect and choose a network.

I have a (absolutely fantastic, awesome, amazing) Nokia N800 Internet Tablet which I can use to "see" the various wifi networks in any specific area, but how do I get my gNewSensed laptop to make this detection *before* attempting to logon unto any one network.  I suspect that some of the difficulties with making wifi card work with gNewSense might be due to trying to logon on the correct network.  On my N800 I select "choose network", see them all, look at their characteristics, and then logon to the one I choose, whereas with gNewSense setting-up the card, "choosing" a network and loging on seem to be an all-in-one thing.  I would prefer first getting up the card and then dealing with the rest.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Andrei