Re: [gNewSense-users] GFDL

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] GFDL
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 16:07:47 -0400

MJ Ray wrote:
> One reason I dislike the FDL is that there are sections that are
> invariant, but which aren't Invariant Sections.  The Cover Texts used
> on most GNU manuals hinder re-using GNU manuals for other purposes,
> because those cover texts can become inaccurate - or even fraudulent!

I doubt it would be fraudulent if you put a clarifying notice.  I agree
GFDL invariant sections can be annoying, but as long as they don't
include technical (functional) information (which is explicitly a
requirement for Secondary Sections: "a named appendix or a front-matter
section of the Document that deals exclusively with the relationship of
the publishers or authors of the Document to the Document's overall
subject (or to related matters) and contains nothing that could fall
directly within that overall subject."), they're still free documentation.

Matt Flaschen