Re: [gNewSense-users] How to help with bugs?

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] How to help with bugs?
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 07:43:12 +0000

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 7:20 AM, Brian Brazil <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Peter and Jesse <address@hidden> wrote:
gnome_help2gnewsense.patch is for the yelp package. It changes the
tooltip for the help entry in the Gnome system menu from Ubuntu to
gNewSense. It patches over top of other patches. I assume that this is
normal; it just needs to be done last. gnome_about2gnewsense.patch is
for the gnome-desktop package. I actually couldn't get this to work. If

There's no package called "gnome-desktop" anywhere in Ubuntu.

Ah, it's the source package.

Brian

I patch it myself, it's builds correctly, but it doesn't work if I just
put it in the debian/patches directory. The problem is that it patches
the rules file, but the output from dpkg-buildpackage shows that the
rules file is built before any patches are applied. I'm sure someone
knows how to fix this, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

This is correct, rules files are used to run the build so are already parsed
before they do anything. This however is not a problem with Builder, as we
alter the packages before running dpkg-buildpackage. See for example:
http://svn.gnewsense.svnhopper.net/gnewsense/builder/trunk/gen-launchpad-integration

Could you update the patch (just one will do) so I can just apply it and submit?
I upgraded my dapper dev system to hardy yesterday, so I can't do my usual
testing.

Docs: http://www.gnewsense.org/Builder/ModifyingANewPackage

Thanks,
Brian