Re: [gNewSense-users] Recent activity of sharing free software materials

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Recent activity of sharing free software materials
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:46:58 +0200

Bake Timmons wrote:
I wanted to mention what I have noticed recently about sharing of free
software materials:

1.  I recall some discussion many months ago about trying to share
gNewSense among other different groups of people and am glad to mention
that I have been getting a little help in spreading the word among
women.  Nothing wrong with a little variety. :)

Good. It always makes me happy when women and libre software are brought closer together. Same for libre software in education.

2.  After months of uploading 8 GB/day of mostly free software related
materials over file sharing networks, I have noticed an unusual *uptick*
in the uploading of my copy of the main gNewSense 1.1 Live CD image in
the past two days.  Typically in the past, it may have risen to one or
two, but lately it has been about a half dozen scattered all over the
planet.  It's a good thing that I cannot explain, especially given how
old the download is. :)

3.  The materials in *heaviest* demand are in *Spanish*, e.g., certain
videotaped speeches of RMS are regularly requested.  Hmm.

4.  If anyone is lucky enough like me to have some bandwidth to spare, I
hope that they condider using the eDonkey network in addition to
BitTorrent.  I have uploaded hundreds of gigabytes of free software
material in the past few months using the excellent MLDonkey software
(monitoring it occasionally from its web interface), and it seems to be
a good way to reach some users beyond BitTorrent users.

Every so often I search on torrent sites for libre Theora and Vorbis content to share. I seldomly share other formats because I want to promote free codecs. I'm not a huge fan of the donkey, but maybe I'll try it again some time. I do share stuff that I don't understand that might be usefull to others (I've got some Scandinavian and Spanish videos).

A problem we have with this in Belgium is a limit to how much you can down/upload per month. It's about 10 to 15 GB in total for a regular subscription. Downloading updates for a few machines, a few distros and some podcasts doesn't leave an awful lot of room left for just sharing.

I am new to file sharing and feel that it will become more important to
free software--technically, politically, and socially.  I look forward
to the greater use of file sharing to install and upgrade free software
systems, such as the use of debtorrent:

http://debtorrent.alioth.debian.org/