Re: [gNewSense-users] BSD code

From: Peter and Jesse
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] BSD code
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:45:18 -0700

The files in question are
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--drivers--net--bsd-comp-c
and
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--drivers--isdn--i4l--isdn-bsdcomp-c

My interpretation of these is that the authors of these files wanted to
use code that was under the original (non-compatible) BSD license. They
were aware of the change in license that Markus found
(ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change) and that
this statement works retroactively ("the foregoing paragraph of those
BSD Unix files containing it is hereby deleted in its entirety").
However, instead of actually changing the license themselves, they
printed the original license and a little comment stating that they were
using the modified version of the license.
However, of course I could be wrong :)
 Peter