[gNewSense-users] Two proposed features to be dropped in kfv.el 0.8

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Two proposed features to be dropped in kfv.el 0.8
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 13:51:45 -0400

kfv.el, a script that aims to ease the Kernel Freedom Verification
process, will be updated shortly to version 0.8.

Although the update will include bug fixes and new features, I propose
that two features be dropped.

* Feature One *
The Comment ID field, e.g.,

Comment ID & License         All non-free    Filename
(Enter License               SW reported
0=No Lic Text)               (Y, N, N/A)
-----------------------      --------------- ---------------
  1 1: GPLv2 or later        N/A             acerhk.c

Without it, we would have:

License                      All non-free    Filename
(Enter License               SW reported
0=No Lic Text)               (Y, N, N/A)
-----------------------      --------------- ---------------
  1: GPLv2 or later          N/A             acerhk.c

The Comment ID has always been an experimental feature, the utility of
which I have been eager to understand.  However, I have never observed
how it really helps the process.  OTOH, it can certainly interfere
with the user experience.  First, calculating the Comment IDs (which
are intended to group files based on similarity of leading comments)
can cause an annoying delay, expecially on a big directory.  Second,
it is visually distracting, particularly to novices who already might
already have their hands full getting used to the Emacs environment
within which kfv.el runs.

* Feature Two *
Support for Emacs 21

Emacs 22 has been out for some time and is easily run under the new
release of gNewSense.  I would rather spend time enhancing kfv.el for
Emacs 22 and newer versions than in testing and devising portability
fixes for Emacs 21.  I might still spend some time helping Emacs 21
along, but it is no longer a priority.

Unless there are convincing reasons otherwise, Comment ID and Emacs 21
support will be dropped.