Re: [gNewSense-users] MP3s xmms2 -uhh?

From: J.B. Nicholson-Owens
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] MP3s xmms2 -uhh?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:41:47 -0500

[Sorry about the double post to you Ali Gunduz, I didn't intend to send you the first copy that went to you alone.]

Ali Gunduz wrote:
> However, mp3 is a patented format itself and, therefore, brings
> restrictions on the developer and even the user due to highly
> criticized legal regulations. So, it is advised by freedom advocates
> to either avoid files in such formats or convert them to their free
> counterparts, such as OGG Vorbis.

Quite true, unfortunately.

As a technical matter, if you're converting the audio file to a free format I'd suggest converting to a lossless format such as FLAC instead of a lossy format like Ogg Vorbis to not lose any more audio quality.

In other words, the FLAC won't sound any better than the MP3 did but it won't sound any worse. The FLAC will likely cost you more storage space however. Ideally you'd go back to the highest quality source material you can and make a FLAC from that. Any tags should convert over without problem no matter what you do; free formats (particularly the Xiph.org formats) handle tagging well.