Re: [gNewSense-users] new homepage 1st draft

From: Graziano Sorbaioli
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] new homepage 1st draft
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:29:04 +0100

Sam Geeraerts wrote:

> Is this going to be a page on its own as a replacement for what is now
> www.gnewsense.org (which think is pretty good: nice colors, rounded
> corners, button-style links, simple lay-out) or will it be like a skin
> for Pmwiki?

I designed it to be a replacement for the actual gnewsense.org main page.
Many people on the list and on the forum thought the current one needed
a redesign to include better/more options and layout.

Anyway someone suggested to fully redesign my draft page and someone
suggested we can use it for later pages.

You decide. :)
I only contributed as I could because I don't like to suggest or
complain without doing anything.

> FSF and other campaigns deal with important issues, but I think we
> should leave campaigning to the campaigners. gNewSense is about building
> a free operating system. We can emphasize the freedom aspect by giving a
> short explanation of the concept and why we do it and leave the rest to
> the FSF which we can link to in a prominent way (I would say plain big
> logo is better than "Join the FSF" thingy, which is only temporary)

I can delete the "join fsf" part, no problem.
What do you suggest to do with the layout?
Maintain the two columns or return back to full widht page?

Please let's talk together about this too.

> The menu items move when a link changes from unvisited to visited.

I can't see anything moving.
menu items are white text on light blue background when non visited AND
when visited.
The only change I can see is that the underlined disappear when the
cursor is over them.

> The links in the text would be better emphasized if they were separate
> from it, in a bulleted list or (like in the current homepage)
> button-styled.

The link you are talking about are already present in the menu so I
don't see the need for make them present in a single separated section.

> Dark-blue visited links on a dark-blue background is not so good for
> accesibility.

I don't see them changing.

> I haven't seen your original design, but the logo is now too blended
> into the menu bar, IMHO. I'm thinking some kind of 3D or halo effect
> would improve this?

I like the result very much and would leave it this way imho.

> Download menu item should point to a download page (with options for
> mirrors, bittorrent, some explanation, ...).

the current download button on the main page of gnewsense points to our
last version so I did it the same way.

> Search = Google? I'm not a big fan.

the other option htdig would require us to implement something in the
server and mainting it and so on.
Would you like to do this?

If not, the google option could be a good starting option.

- --
Graziano Sorbaioli -- www.sorbaioli.org
Support freedom?
Join the Free Software Foundation: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=5796
Supporters will receive our new USB membership card with gNewSense Live
NO EMAIL from gmail accounts, >1Mb, html, ms-office files