[gNewSense-users] RFC: New gnewsense mailing lists?

From: Danny Clark
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 10:36:34 -0500

On IRC discussion there seemed to be general consensus that gNewSense
was ready for a gnewsense-dev mailing list, since a lot of the
gnewsense-users traffic is starting to be actually user-oriented (yay
users!).

Also there are several unfortunately long threads going on about the
Lemote/MIPS development where instead of any list it's just a bunch of
individuals cc:ed; I want to avoid this for the majority of
conversations, as it's exclusionary, hard to reference, and makes it
harder for new people to get involved.

Would anyone have objections or alternative suggestions to the creation
of address@hidden

We may also want to create something like address@hidden for
discussion of only builder [1,2]; it might be useful to not have
"gnewsense" in the name as builder may eventually also be used to create
distributions based on Debian GNU/Linux that are modified in the same
way gNewSense modifies Ubuntu GNU/Linux, and those distributions may not
be named "gNewSense" to avoid user confusion.

For that matter builder was originally created with the intention that
it be used to create other Ubuntu derived distributions named something
other than gNewSense, so that list could be used for those if they
appear as well.

Disadvantage of this list would be possibly too much dilution / too many
mailing lists, so I would esp. like feedback on this one.

Also, would people find something like Gmane [3] but hosted on
gnewsense.org (perhaps as a replacement for the current forums) useful?
Free Software such as mail2forum [4] provides this functionality.

[1] Create Your Own Distro
http://www.gnewsense.org/Builder/HowToCreateYourOwnGNULinuxDistribution

[2] Our Builder generates our repositories and liveCD
http://www.gnewsense.org/Builder/Builder

[3] Gmane: gNewSense Lists
http://dir.gmane.org/search.php?match=gnewsense

[4] m2f: connecting communities
http://mail2forum.com/

Cheers,
--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny