Re: [gNewSense-users] Launchpad licensed under AGPL v3.0: Consequences

From: Nicodemo Alvaro
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Launchpad licensed under AGPL v3.0: Consequences for gNS?
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 05:25:46 +0500

I'll CC Savannah-Hackers on this subject.

On 7/22/09, Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eric Morey schreef:
>> Launchpad's weblog announces that 100% of the Launchpad code is now
>> libre licensed under the GNU Affero General Public license, version 3.
>>
>> http://blog.launchpad.net/general/launchpad-is-now-open-source:
>>> We released it today under the GNU Affero General Public license,
>>> version 3. Note that although we had previously announced that we’d be
>>> holding back two components (codehosting and soyuz), we changed our
>>> minds: they are included — all the code is open.
>>
>> Images are "traditionally" copyrighted and trademarks will be enforced.
>>
>> https://dev.launchpad.net/Getting:
>>> The images/icons are still copyrighted traditionally, to protect
>>> Launchpad's visual identity. But they're shipped with the code and are
>>> fine to use for development and testing purposes. Just if you launch a
>>> production server, it needs to look different -- and have a different
>>> name, of course, as "Launchpad" is a trademark.
>>
>> Slashdot has picked up the story:
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/mxo4pe
>>
>> Should gNewSense consider using Launchpad for development and bug
>> tracking? Would the FSF interested in hosting a launchpad server? Does
>> this matter to gNewSense?
>
> It's been brought up before [1]. I think it's a very useful set of tools
> and I have awaited this day with excitement. I hung around
> #launchpad-dev today, mostly for congratulatory purposes. But there were
> other people trying to set it up, and having some difficulties with it.
> It seems it's still very Ubuntu/Canonical specific. And I think it's a
> pretty hefty bunch of software too. I don't know how much maintenance
> would be involved.
>
> I believe Karl has already done a partial move to Savannah [2], but I'm
> not sure if that decision is final. I guess it would help if someone
> volunteered to set up and maintain a Launchpad instance for us.
>
> In any case, I've added it to BTS overview [3].
>
> [1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-dev/2009-04/msg00153.html
> [2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-dev/2009-06/msg00054.html
> [3] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/BugTrackingSystemMigration

I've heard that Launchpad has the license notice AGPL v3, as in not
your option to use a later version.

I've  had problems retrieving the source code, because they are using
a newer version of bazaar, which is incompatible with my version 1.3.
Canonical claims their code to be written with Hardy and Jaunty, but I
could find no other bzr version in their package lists or gNewSense
deltah.

https://dev.launchpad.net/Getting

--
Nicodemo