Re: [gNewSense-users] linux-libre .deb for AMD 64 bit

From: Leo
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] linux-libre .deb for AMD 64 bit
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 21:43:14 -0300

On Sunday 02 August 2009 16:43:18 Tomek Chrzczonowicz wrote:
> > Sadly I think the OpenFWWF firmware still has non-free parts (from the
> > page you sent a link to):
> >
> > "To make the firmware work properly you need at least 2 more files
> > that
> > must be extracted from original Broadcom drivers:"
> >
> > Until that is fixed I don't see how its much better to recommend
> > OpenFWWF.
>
> The newest version is free. I and Alexandre Oliva checked it. Those 2
> files are build from commented OpenFWWF sources and no longer require
> any files to be extracted from the proprietary driver.
>
> You need linux-libre 2.6.30 to use it, though. It needs to be placed
> in /lib/firmware/b43-open and "options b43 qos=0 nohwcrypt=1" be added
> to /etc/modprobe.d/options.
>
> That statement at the bottom is confusing, but if you read through all
> the news then you see that this dependancy on non-free parts was
> dropped.

Yup, what Tomek says is correct, that information is outdated.
I have OpenFWWF and it works, but with heavy network load it makes my kernel
panic :(
I did not have the nohwcrypt=1 option, though. I didn't see anything about
that anywhere when I installed it. I just added it and I'll check again if
that makes any difference and my kernel panics disappear.

Namaste,
Leonardo

--
KDE Argentina