Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewsense in very old hardware

From: alexus / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewsense in very old hardware
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 16:12:32 +0000

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:06:41 -0700, Jason Self <address@hidden>
wrote:
>> I would like to start using a GNU/Linux enterily free, and I was
>> wondering if there a way to install gNewsense in very old hardware (I
>> mean PIII 633 mhz. with 128 MB of RAM) because the current
>> installation don't let me. Beside, and in part that's a razon I'm
>> currently using Debian, I was wondering if there a installation way
>> like Debian (i.e. text mode with really very low hardware
>> requierements and, if wanted, very few soft installed afterwards).
>
> In the world of Ubuntu 8.04 (on which gNewSense is based), this is
> partly accomplished by an alternate install CD that boots into a text-
> based installer. It appears that gNewSense does not offer such an
> option at this time, although it would be nice.
>
> Even if such an option were available, though, in reviewing the
> alternate install CD for Ubuntu 8.04 it appears that only the
> installer is different: It appears that even this minimal text-based
> installer still installs the full desktop environment. As a result,
> even if you could boot the installer you would still run into the
> issue of running the full desktop environment.

The gNS website reports of an attempt to modify builder to create a console
based installation CD:
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/ConsoleInstallCD

Does it means this CD should perform a gNS-command-line system
installation?

A lot of people need/wish to install gNS on old computers... So I think gNS
should have such an installation CD!
More, many trashware groups, who try to reuse old computer spreading
(really) free software at the same time, would take a great advantage
having such an installation CD. Indeed, a gNS-command-line system should be
installable on almost every old machine and eventually, as a
post-isntallation task, the most suitable (depending on the hardware) light
desktop environment (such as fluxbox + xdm) could be added easily...

This kind to installation is the same (freedom apart :) that could be
performed with the Ubuntu Alternate CD, choosing the "Install a
command-line system" option...

So I hope the gNS ConsoleInstallCD will be soon available...

Is the gNS ConsoleInstallCD project going on?

Regards

dotcommon / al3xu5

--
Support free software! Join FSF: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7535
You will receive a bootable USB membership card with gNewSense Live!