[gNewSense-users] Re: Installing drivers for scanner HP Scanjet 2400

From: Brian Kemp
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: Installing drivers for scanner HP Scanjet 2400
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:01:19 -0400

>    1. Re: Installing drivers for scanner HP Scanjet 2400
>       (Frederique W. Piccart)

I did a little looking around as well; The drivers from an Indian
Government initiative are the binary-only ones behind the EULA.
According to the license all the code is HP's, so pressure should be put
on the manufacturer.

My guess? It's a 3rd party chipset and HP's collective hands are just as
tied as yours would be by installing and using this code. This is quite
common (Intel GMA 500 "Poulsbo" anyone?), and the consumer of the device
is the one that is ultimately hurt.

I'll see if my wife's HP SJ works using only Free Software if I get a
moment today.