Re: [gNewSense-users] Metad LXDE Setup

From: Vladimir B. Tsarkov
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Metad LXDE Setup
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 11:51:32 +0300

Good afternoon!

> Dear gnewsense community,
>
> I am facing three problems setting up metad LXDE on a lemote yeeloong
> notebook. Your help would be much appreciated.
>
> 1) The battery monitor panel item does not display properly. It says
> "no battery found". On a possibly related note, on startup I receive a
> message that acpid cannot talk to the kernel via netlink.

I don't have a lemote yeeloong, but for my notebook I use
the following command to check the battery status:

cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_now

If you have another directory structure, try to check the sys
directory for the charge_now file.

> 3) I am currently using with network-manager and network-manager-gnome
> for connecting to the internet. I couldn't figure out LXDE packages
> lxnm and lxpanel-netstat-plugin. While all the webpages that I read on
> this recommended using the GNOME network managers, I haven't found them
> to be very reliable. Are there any other program options in the metad
> repository that I have missed?

Try command line tools. They are much more stable then any of the GUI tools.
For example, I connect to the Internet by the command:

pppd call dsl

where "dsl" is the name of a small simple script. My system is gnewsense 2.3.

Good luck!
Vladimir