Re: [gNewSense-users] IceCat 5: Update failure message

From: Snoopys Woodstock
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] IceCat 5: Update failure message
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 19:51:16 +0100 (BST)

Von: Joerg Kohne <address@hidden>
An: address@hidden
Gesendet: 16:41 Sonntag, 24.Juli 2011

Am 17.07.2011 21:18, schrieb address@hidden:
> Snoopys Woodstock wrote:
>> > Couldn't find them because there were no gnuzilla-team entries. Bun
>> > on "Updates" I unmarked the ICECAT /hardy option. Now I don't get the
>> > failure but I'm not sure if I did right. Thanks
> Unmarking that also unsets the "main" component for IceCat. The IceCat setting under Updates is deprecated. It was supposed to be changed to a Third-Party setting, but for some reason that doesn't work right for everyone. Make sure you have the "gnewsense-external" packages installed.
>
> How?
>
> If it is and you still don't see gnuzilla in the Third-Party tabsheet then copy the attached file to /etc/apt/sources.list.d (as root/sudo) and leave the IceCat option under Updates unchecked.
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnuzilla-team/ppa/ubuntu/ hardy main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnuzilla-team/ppa/ubuntu/ hardy main
>
> I did this but still don't kow how can I make sure to habe gnewsense-external intalled. It didn't work with sudo install ... Sorry

IceCats ppa for gNS Hardy is no longer available!

Download simply the source code, from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/5.0/

trio of ./configure, make, make install, (see info files) and have fun
again...

What is this trio of ...? I mean, I've never installed a programm on gNS manually. I always used the console by typing apt-get install ... or used the aptitude. I realy don't know where to place the program and what EXACTLY need to do. Would you take some time to explaine me slowly step by step, please?

Thanks, and I realy want to understand it better

- and privacy_ext¹ (I recommend)
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/5.0/privacy_ext.xpi
- and langpacks¹ if necessary
http://gnuzilla.gnu.org/download/langpacks/5.0/

¹After installation: Start icecat once - briefly - with admin
privileges. Done.

See http://www.gnu.org/software/icecat/ for more info.

If this procedure is successful, please send a short feedback. (You
might want to bring the wiki up to date?)