Re: [gNewSense-users] Where is your forum please

From: r. siddharth
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Where is your forum please
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:24:00 +0530

On Thursday 30 August 2012 10:56 PM, Wally Lepore wrote:

Can you please tell me where I can read about installing Gnewsense ona
separate hard drive for a dual boot with windows. I would like to
eventually migrate over to 100% gNewSense.

We have a gNewSense Documentation[1] (wiki) for users to get acquainted with gNewSense. For gNewSense installation help, you my take a look at this page[2], you will definitely jostle with hard-disk partitioning which might be a night-mare for new-users, you may want to take a look at this page[3] to get a taste of GNU/Linux hard-disk partitioning.

[1]: http://www.gnewsense.org/Documentation
[2]: http://www.gnewsense.org/Documentation/InstallingGNewSense
[3]: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=282018&highlight=partitioning

Period.

The present stable version of gNewSense is pretty old but the fact remains true that it ensures that all the programs that can be installed in the distribution are free as in freedom.

Also I did hours and hours of research over the past few days and have
learned a lot in regards to GNU/Linux or rather as Richard Stallmam says,
"GNU+Linux. I did much research and would like to know if gNewSense can
handle a variety of Multimedia production applications such as a Video
Editor and a Digital Audio Workststion (DAW) much like Ardour?
http://ardour.org/

In other words, can it install and run most applications that work with
Ubuntu?

The present stable version of gNewSense is based on ubuntu "hardy". Therefore, it should run application that work in ubuntu provided that the application is free as freedom.

FYI, There are "free as in freedom" distros that are wholly meant for video & audio production. You may be interested to test drive those distros. For more info, go here:

        http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

postscript:
Please send your emails to the address@hidden so that everyone in the list can view it. Thank you.
--