Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense 4.0 released

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense 4.0 released
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 23:57:15 +0200

Op Tue, 3 May 2016 15:52:04 +0200
schreef Narcis Garcia <address@hidden>:

> I don't feel this as a good news, when just on April 25th the final
> phase of life cycle for Debian 7 has started.
>
> Using oldstable version of Debian puts gNewSense project in a position
> for only odd scenarios of installations to recommend. More when
> default desktop is not a light desktop.
>
> I perform GNU/Linux installations every week and still cannot select
> gNewSense as a candidate in old computers, consumer desktops neither
> servers nor VPS containers and virtual machines.
> Trisquel still accomplishes very better for desktop targets.
> I hope a 5.0 version of gNewSense to be soon on the road, and based on
> last Debian stable.

I agree that gNewSense lags too much. I do my best to keep it going
while finding a balance with other commitments. I want to get started
on version 5 as soon as possible. I'll gladly accept offers for help
and I'm happy to mentor new volunteers. I don't mind doing that
privately if people don't feel confident enough to ask questions on the
public channels. And it's great that people learn new things even if
they don't contribute. But I'll point out that it does (initially) take
time away from development, so it'd be great if people who are
interested are serious about their commitment and stick around for a
while.

That said, I invite everyone who's enthusiastic about helping out to
join me on the gnewsense-dev mailing list.