Re: 7650?

From: Herbert Demmel
Subject: Re: 7650?
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:54:58 +0200

At 08:50 25.07.2003 +0200, you wrote:
Hi !

I'd be really interested in support for this phone too. Actually I've
already done some tests with the IrDA connection, but I don't even know
which service to connect() to. Both 'Nokia:PhoNet' and 'mRouter' are
refused by the phone. If I bind a socket to 'mRouter', the phone connects
to it and probably tries to open a PPP session.

I was also thinking about the possibility that the phone only talks
through TCP/IP. pppd really connects to /dev/ircomm0 and I could see that
ports 3000, 3002 and 3003 on the phone's IP address are open. However, I
don't know which protocol these ports use.

I did some tests already a long time ago and sent the results to somebody of the community. I repeat it here to let you know how difficult the problem may be to solve:

I have an external IrDA adapter connected to the serial port and I spy via "hardware". That means I connect the RX and the TX pin to the RX pin of two additional COM ports and trace the serial communcation with a commercial application under Windows, write the data stream to a file and then analyze the FBUS (not in this case :-() data stream with a special program written by myself. As I could not find any valid FBUS frames in the data stream I had a look to the hex data and found "OBEX:IrXfer" there, which seems to be the way the PC-Suite communcates with this handset. After digging into the Symbios documentation I found out, that they *do* support Obex (but they also support mRouter among others).

My aproach would be to write a Obex spy (as the Obex frames are well documented) analysing the raw data captured from the IrDA device on the one side and - on the other side - have a nearer look for the documentations which may be available from Symbios (as Nokia did not add that much to the Symbios kernel for the 7650 - they even support GSM, SMS and other things directly via the kernel and even bluetooth, but without the audio profile - this is the reason why you can not connect with a bluetooth headset with the 7650 (Symbios does not support this profile and Nokia did not add something to the kernel as far as I can see that).

But having all the data stream analyzed and implemented which is running on the PC-Suite does not help that much: The PC-Suite does *nothing* with real time events - so you can not send a SMS via the software, you do not have information about the status of the phone ....

Symbios seems to support file i/o related things in their kernel only, this might be the reason why there is nothing beyond that in the PC-Suite.

Herbert