Re: Phones getting killed when using smsd

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Phones getting killed when using smsd
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:23:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Johannes Lehtinen wrote:

> We have been trying to use smsd (0.5.0, Debian package gnokii-smsd) in a
> server environment to replace the previously used proprietary software.
[...]
> Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is it possible that the
> software could somehow damage the phone or overload it? Or should we
> assume that server hardware or cable is somehow faulty?

Unfortunately yes. Tomasz Kobylinski reported similiar behaviour
recently. And it seems it was introduced in 0.5.x series. I'd like to find
the exact change that caused that effect, but I know that it will be
extremly hard. But if you were so kind to do more testing this is what to
do:
 - test several gnokii versions (at least full versions) and see which one
was the latest working one (see Tomasz emails from August for some hints)
 - try to run gnokii --monitor and see whether it hangs
Unfortunately I don't have spare SIM card at the moment and all my tests
are apparently too short -- I don't get any phone freezes..

> The error message after each hang was very similar. Here is the latest:

Thanks, I'll add support for this response.