Re: Wrong cable for 5110?

From: Stephen Baillie
Subject: Re: Wrong cable for 5110?
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:44:26 +1000

> In that case go to Dick Smith Electronics, they have catalog number
> E2211 which is quite expensive (that may be an OEM model), however,
> I picked mine up in a "$5 specials" bin at DSE in Sydney - mine is
> DSE's brand though.
>
> Hopefully you'll have similar luck - at least I can say the DSE one
> works perfectly!

The problem is that I don't know where the problem is - it's entirely
possible that the cable is fine, and either the serial port or the phone
is at fault.  I'd rather not buy a "quite expensive" cable if the one I
have is actually fine!

I was thinking that if I could bring the phone and cable over, we could
try swapping various bits just to isolate the problem.  The phone and
cable are still under warranty, while the computer isn't, but I don't
know which component is causing the problem.

> FYI, my SMS machine is SuSE 8.2

Nice to narrow down one more possible avaenue of error!

Thanks,

Steve.