Re: DataCall -> PC (ISDN, Modem)

From: Ekkard Gerlach
Subject: Re: DataCall -> PC (ISDN, Modem)
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:52:17 +0200

* Aart Koelewijn schrieb:

> (see your login.conf). Now, if your pap/chap-secrets files are ok you
> should get a automatic login without a login prompt.

my pap/chap-secrets seem not to be ok. The called PC claims:
 The remote system is required to authenticate itself
 but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.

Changing "auth" in login.config to "noauth" I get a ppp-connection
with IP's like in /etc/ppp/peers/demon-gnokii  described:
192.168.0.51:192.168.0.31. Okay (First SUCCESS, I was glad ..!)
But I urgently need auth, of course, because of security!
I put name entry from /etc/ppp/peers/demon-gnokii into
pap-secrets and chap-secrets of both pc's but the called
PC claims the same.

Which name have I to set? The name of the linux-machine?
I think not, I think I can take any name.

Is it necessary to put the name with IP into /etc/hosts?

BTW: can I force mgetty to accept DataCalls only from one MSN, the
     MSN of my handy?

thx
Ekkard