Gammu under LGPL for some people

From: Marcin Wiacek
Subject: Gammu under LGPL for some people
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:46:29 +0100

Hi,

During few days I want to release new 0.9 version of Gammu. It will have new
license - GPL for "normal" people, LGPL for sponsors.

If You think, that Gammu still contains Your GPL source (and have of course real
arguments connected with it) and don't want to give agreement for new license,
please contact me and show concrete files or functions or other parts of source,
which should be changed before changing license. I will check your request and
if it's the truth, I will rewrite this source or mark it as GNU GPL only.

If You don't have to say anything concrete in this topic, please do not start
flame war(s).

Please send all requests to my private email from sig - it's possible, that I
won't track all places, where this email was sent (for example Gnokii mailing
list).

In the future Gammu+ will contains similiar dual license.

I include part of new copying file, which should explain everything.
-----------------------
After long developing GSM source in Gammu I decided to change license of it.

Starting from 0.89.1 version project has two licenses. The idea is simple:
all "normal" people can use it under GNU GPL. People, who will contribute some
hardware help or will give some other big help required for surviving project,
will be able to use almost all Gammu under LGPL license.

We have generally hard times. Everyone everywhere wants money for everything.
It's required to pay bills, pay for some tools, etc. etc. Additionaly Internet
access in Poland is very expensive. And the worst: it's more and more difficult
or impossible find sometimes big (they're big for me of course) money for
paying for access for some specs or some phone models required for making this
software "killer app".

>From second hand many people use included here source or experiences more or
less legally.

It everything makes, that I decided to give possibility of donating project
and legally using compiled library made from it in commercional projects this
way, that source of these applications using library won't be given to users
(source of Gammu library will be available under requests for everyone).
Please note, that it can help project this way too, that autors of commercional
apps can try to help in making Gammu library better. Also agreement for using
Gammu under LGPL will have ONLY concrete people for CONCRETE projects only.
It won't be possible to make unlimited money on Gammu without my permission.
Each LGPL license agreement will be first discussed. Each LGPL license won't
be automatically inherited by future projects made by marked below people.

Please understand, that is NOT first step for making Gammu project with closed
license/source. Normal people will STILL have unlimited access to it. I hope,
that my current decision won't make speed (in improving project) smaller.

Now about few words about possible GNU GPL source in current Gammu. When
somebody will show, that his source was copied to Gammu, will not like current
Gammu license and will tell me about it, I will try to rewrite it or find some
agreement with him. Before making requests in this topic please first think,
that maybe it would be better to say nothing - without donations Gammu could
die. All unnecessary regrets are not required.

My words here are connected especially with possible Gnokii authors requests.
MyGnokii was based on Gnokii and I could understand such requests two years ago
(times connected with writing MyGnokii). But for now, although many ideas were,
are and will be exchanged this or other way between Gammu/MyGnokii/Gnokii it
will be very difficult to find, WHO/when/where/how created some idea or thing
or function. If there will be some concrete requests connected with it
(requests about concrete functions or lines of source), I will think about
them. If not, I will probably ignore them. Please note before making any
requests, that some similiar solutions are good and maybe some things should
be like now. If they will be rewritten using for example some tricks it will
be more difficult to track bugs inside and it will be worse for GNU community.

In this place in the future will be put info about projects, which can use
Gammu under LGPL after compiling it with enabled GNU_LGPL compiler
Directive (for example after "./configure --enable-gnulgpl").

Pozdrowienia/Best Regards
--
Marcin Wiacek (address@hidden www.mwiacek.com)