Re: gnokii: command not found

From: BORBELY Zoltan
Subject: Re: gnokii: command not found
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:27:30 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 02:36:34AM -0800, Sankaranarayanan Mahadevan wrote:
> thanks. But in the gnokii-0.6.0.txt file it is said
> that we have to copy the gnokiirc file to home
> directory. So i copied to /home directory and ran.
> It said it coudn't find .gnokiirc file in root or /etc
> directory. ( I build binaries..)
> Then copied to /etc and changed to .gnokiirc

You have to copy it into your home as .gnokiirc (e.g. if you are root
gnokii will search /root/.gnokiirc) or you can use /etc/gnokiirc.

> Why do we need to change the file to '.gnokiirc'
> Sounds like a file with just an extension? duh! i'm
> newbie to linux/unix...
> Moreoever i cannot see the file from the konqueror in
> that directory. why is it so? invisible???

Unices doesn't use file extensions, it's a DOS or VMS thing. But
Unices treats files beginning with dot differently. It will be
treated as a hidden file, so the ls command (and konqueror) won't
show it (you have to use ls -a to see these files). If you look
into your home directory (e.g. ls -a ~) you will see a lot of files
and directories beginning with dot. This is for convenience.

Bye,
Bozo