Re: import / export contacts into/ from file

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: import / export contacts into/ from file
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:22:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Helge Deller wrote:

> As I said, currently it's just a proof-of concept and only contacts (name,
> company, URL, phone numbers) worked at some point for me.
> As one example, I just could start kedit (the editor, or any other KDE
> application),
> select File->Open and then wrote "mobile://" as source URL in the first line.
> Afterwards every contact in the phone showed up as .vcf file and I could open
> anyone of them, edit it e.g. in text-mode and directly saved it back to my
> phone.
>
> To try it anyway (you have been warned :-), or just to see how it should work:
> Comment out or delete the first line in kdepim/kmobile/configure.in.in:
> DO_NOT_COMPILE="$DO_NOT_COMPILE kmobile"
> ->
> # DO_NOT_COMPILE="$DO_NOT_COMPILE kmobile"
>
> and then you need to re-create the "configure" script.
> From CVS sources it's done by "make -f Makefile.cvs".
> After that, just run ./configure again and after compilation you
> might want to run "kmobile" to configure the connections.
> You might want to try the "Skeleton Device", which just simulates a phone.
> KMobile additionally adds a small mini-icon to the kicker task bar
> beside the clock which has to run.
> And konqueror should afterwards support a new protocol/URL-type
> which is called "mobile://".

I compiled kdepim-3.2.1 with kmobile enabled. No application recognizes
mobile:// prefix. Trying to run kmobile I got:
$ kmobile
kmobile: ERROR: Communication problem with kmobile, it probably crashed.

On the other hand, kaddressbook works more or less. I got imported all
detailes from my phone. Just few notes.
1. While getting contacts from the phone, kaddresbook was looking as it
was hanging, no status bar, no cursor change, no nothing. As I use
bluetooth and my phone was in the other room, I coudn't see much
2. Some phone numbers were saved incorrectly, but I don't know yet if it
is a gnokii issue or kaddressbook one.
3. kaddressbook does not give an option to choose the memory type.
I was using knokiisync and IMHO it is much more usable. It gives more
options to configure and to fit my needs.

The best option would be to work with Dimitris to integrate knokiisync to
kaddressbook. I think it should be cced to kdepim and knokiisync mailing
lists if the thread goes on.

p k o t a t b e z s e n s u d o t p l
http://www.gnokii.org/